Wolford and Lenore Swimmer established the Evelyn Hovanec Creative Writing Award in recognition of her retirement in 2001. The award honors Dr. Hovanec’s 35 years of service to Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus and Penn State McKeesport and her lifetime commitment to creative teaching, scholarship, and writing related to Fayette County and Southwestern Pennsylvania, especially its coal and coke history and culture.
Winning composition to receive local, campus, and university-wide recognition and publicity
Award to be presented at a cultural event in Swimmer Hall
Panel of judges to consist of credible professionals, selected from current and retired Fayette Campus faculty, off-campus writers or teachers, University Park scholars, and Evelyn Hovanec. Judges have the option of deciding not to make an award
Originality, insightfulness, craftsmanship, readability, regional relevance, and/or universal relevance
Fayette Campus English Department Faculty Member
Current students, current or retired faculty and staff and alumni of Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus
Preferably related to culture, society or history of Fayette County or Southwestern Pennsylvania, but any outstanding composition may be considered
Types of writing considered:
Poems, short stories, novels, plays, and creative non-fiction (books, essays, journalism)
* Poetry submissions: three to five poems
* Submissions in other categories limited to one
* One entry per person in each category--except for poems
Two award categories and prizes:
* $250 for current students of Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus
* $250 for non-students of Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus (current or retired faculty and staff, and alumni)
* Must have a title for each entry.
* Must be original work of contestant.
* Must be typed or computer generated and double spaced or presented in acceptable published print (pertains to entries already published).
* Include cover letter with author’s name, address, phone number and e-mail address.
* Indicate your status in cover letter: current student of Penn State Fayette or alumni, faculty, staff or retiree of Penn State Fayette.
* Attach to cover letter a brief biographical sketch.
* Include a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage if entry is to be returned.
Contact the Academic Affairs Office (Eberly Building Room 202, 724-430-4140) for additional submission information and deadlines.
Publication status of material:
Material may be published before prize award is made.
- Alumni Society