The mission of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus is to graduate knowledgeable and skilled health care providers, prepared to work as part of a team to provide selected physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist in an ethical, legal, safe, and effective manner. The Physical Therapist Assistant Program is committed to providing high quality education in a supportive learning environment through the teaching and service of the faculty and staff and state-of-the-art facilities and learning technologies. Through the promotion of the values of excellence, integrity, and social responsibility the program will positively impact the regional community.
The Philosophy of the PTA Program reflects the values of the Pennsylvania State University. The Penn State Fayette PTA Program believes that quality education produces knowledgeable, critical, creative, and ethical students. The integration of teaching, service and evidence-based practice enhances the capacity of the PTA Program to meet the needs of the local community. The dignity of all individuals is affirmed, equality of opportunity is pursued, and diversity is valued. A respect for the rights and safety of individuals is essential to a positive educational environment. The efficient and effective use of limited resources benefits everyone associated with the PTA Program and those we serve. Faculty, staff, students, and administration work together create a foundation for greater accomplishment.
- The PTA program will prepare graduates to provide selected physical therapy services in an ethical, legal, safe, and effective manner under to direction and supervision of the physical therapist
- Graduates will pass the national physical therapist assistant licensure exam.
- Graduates will competently perform selected interventions and data collection techniques within the plan of care established by the physical therapist.
- Graduates will act in a manner consistent with legal practice standards, institutional regulations and the Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant
- Graduates will work cooperatively with other members of the health care delivery team; patients and clients; and the patient’s/client’s family and caregivers
- The PTA program will positively impact the regional community by providing an educational program that will prepare students for employment as entry-level physical therapist assistants.
- Program admission and enrollment processes will support the mission of the program and reflect regional workforce needs.
- PTA faculty and students will participate in activities that promote the health and wellness of society
- Graduates will be employed in a variety of physical therapy settings.
- The PTA program will provide students with an outstanding education experience with highly qualified faculty, appropriate and stimulating curricula, necessary resources, and outstanding clinical experiences.
- The PTA program will maintain highly qualified faculty to educate and evaluate students in the program.
- The PTA faculty will develop and implement curricula that will adequately prepare students for clinical experiences and future employment as physical therapist assistants.
- The PTA program will work with qualified clinical faculty to provide students with relevant and diverse clinical experiences.
- The PTA program will work with PSU administration, admissions, library services, academic support services, and other support services to develop policies and practices and provide resources that are beneficial to the PTA students and faculty.
Student Outcomes Data
- For the graduating class of 2012 and 2013, the graduation rate was 61%.
- As of 8/27/13, for the graduating classes of 2012 and 2013, the average pass rate on the national physical therapy exam (NPTE) for PTAs was 86%.
- Of the 2012 and 2013 graduates responding to a graduate survey, 100% who sought employment as a PTA were employed within six months of passing the NPTE exam.
- Physical Therapist Assistant